Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blog 20



With my essay, I hope to show that there is a need to change the way revise is taught to students.
* “More Than Just Error Correction: Students’ Perspectives on Their Revision Processes During Writing.”
- Analyzed 34 students for how they wrote and revised their work in an English class

****How does my subject define revision?
H – (Laughter) Darn! Um, how would you define revision in your own words?

A – Hmmm, if I had to define revision (restating the question), I would say that revision could be, um (thinking about it), looking at all the mistakes of your paper (find what’s wrong, not what’s right), whether they be like spelling, grammatical, or anything else and making sure that they are all corrected and like how they need to be. Like as I made the analogy before, like it’s kinda like putting make-up on your paper. Like you’re fixing up (fixing but not specific on how) every little correction and just making it the best (not better but the best) it can be. Yep.
1. A sees revision as a way to "fix" all the mistakes, yet doesn't say how she fixes it, like the exact method. She also points to a prior time in the interview when she used makeup as an analogy for revision, as in you are correctings all the imperfections.

2. My paper is all about revision so it is vital to get my subject's view on revision.
****When was my subject taught revision?
H – (Laughter) Um, so when did you first like learn about revision?
A – Honestly, this is gonna be really embarrassing (opening up and use of REALLY) , but like in high school (time frame), I never revised any of my stuff. (never revised) I kinda just handed it in and I didn’t care (high school students don't care). Um, my freshman year of college (time frame) I learned my revision and like taking the time to actually go print things out and relook at it over again. Freshman year of college (Laughter) That’s sad (what a shame).
1. A talks about how she didn't learn revision until her freshman year of college and how she finds that to be "sad," as in a shame. She also said she never revised her work and simply handed it in because she didn't care. This plays on the cultural story that high school students aren't serious about schoolwork. In addition, she reveals a bit of her revision process by saying how in college they taught her to "print things out and relook at it over again."
2. This is a major point in my paper. I want to show that we have to change revision educationin high schools and A introduces the need right there.

****How was my subject taught to revise in high school?
H – Okay, um. How did your high school English teacher tell you to revise?

A – Um, it depends on the one that you—what I was talking about because like every single year each one would be of a different kind of intensity. But my senior year, my um AP like College Writing teacher, who was like English teacher technically, she taught us to do the same thing like that I learned my freshman year of college (she controdicted herself from the last time), but I didn’t listen (TAKING THE BLAME!). She told me to also, like print out a couple of times, look it over, like go talk to my parents about it. Like read it out to them and stuff, but that’s all they really went into detail.
1. This is another huge point from my interview. A says she wasn't taught revision until her freshman year of college, yet right here she is saying that in her senior year of high school she was taught but she didn't listen. This is very interesting. I feel like maybe she wasn't serious about schoolwork in high school, but when she got to college, she really worked at it. Or maybe that her high school teacher didn't explain it as clearly as her college teacher? The excerpt before this and this excerpt provide a lot of analysis opportunity.
2. If I am correct in assuming that the high school teacher didn't teach clearly enough, then it supports my call for a revision of revision education.

****How was my subject taught to revise in college?
H – Hmm, okay. Um, so how were you taught to revise in college?

A – In college (time frame), all my professors like tell me to take my time and actually go through all of my work (thorough look through) and like do it days ahead of time like I said earlier, rather than like wait til the last second (don't procrastinate) and like look it over then ‘cause that’s not accurate. You have to wait like a couple of days so like you see, uh, like your mistakes you made (looking at it with "new eyes"). So that’s mainly what they say, you know, just make sure you do it ahead of time.
1. A describes how she was taught revision in college. She must do it ahead of time so she has the proper time to revise and find all the "mistakes." 
2. The difference in her explanation from high school to college show where the need for change in revision education is, not college, but high school.

****Why does my subject think we teach revision earlier?
H – Okay, sounds good. Um, is there anything that we haven’t talked about with revision that you feel like that you want to add? Any topic?

A – Uh, uhhh (thinking). Just about how like I think it (revision) should probably be taught at an earlier age. Like I think in high school it should be taken a lot more seriously so that way it isn’t just something you learn when you’re in college (even though she did learn it in high school, but didn't listen). Like people would get into way better colleges if they knew that beforehand. Like they could have written way better essays. Like unless you were at home and your mother was like an English major, you’re not gonna know how to do all those revision things (english majors know how to revise) or unless you went to like some preparatory school in like the richest place ever (rich means better education). So I think it should be taught at an earlier age.
1. A explains that revision should be taught at an earlier age so that students can get into better colleges. She believes that right now, only those high school students with an English major at home or in a rich prep school know the proper revision.
2. This one question changed the whole focus of my paper. I wasn't expecting it, but wow, it really changed my whole perspective!

****What does my subject feel are the benefits of revision?
A – Especially for SATs and stuff because they comes up like a year later! (in the transcript she said revision should be taught in freshman year) You have to be ready for everything. Um, I don’t know about HSPAs because I didn’t go to a public school. I don’t know if there’s any writing with that, but I’m sure that would help. I’m sure if there’s a reading section or something else (revision also helps reading), by knowing writing skills, you’re going to be able to pick out things and reading is a lot easier also. It’s not only just the writing, so.
1. A further says the benefits of revision at an earlier age. It will help standardized tests and even the SATs, again helping with college. She also believes it helps with critical reading, not just writing which is a correct point.
2. The subjects now illustrates all that can be helped from a better revision education. It supports my focus exactly.

H – Do you feel like you would have benefited much more if you would have learned it at an earlier age?
A – Definitely! (Laughter) Like I would have been in a way better place right now because I know that like when I was younger, I was able to write, I’ve always been able to write like good, (writes well) but it was never the best it could possibly be and I really believe that’s because nobody took the time to sit down with me and be like, “Get to the point.” (possibly a byproduct of her revision?) Like nobody ever told me, how to get to where it should be, they just said, “Okay, it’s fine. You did it.” (in high school) You know? So, I definitely would have come out as a better person if it would have been introduced to me earlier, smarter even! (really puts a lot of faith in revision)

1. A really believes that if she was taught revision at an earlier age, she would have had so many advantages and been a "better person." Here is where the heart of her argument is coming from. I do believe she is putting too much faith in revision though but it is her opinion.


2. She may be very opinionated on the subject, but it shows how passionate she is. It could provide more support for my argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment